With all of the uncertainty of this year and what it may or may not look like this spring while also trying to provide students with as many educational opportunities as we can, we have decided to have virtual music concerts this year. What that means is that we will NOT be having evening concerts with an audience present. Instead we will prepare concert music and each class will have a time where students go to the auditorium to record their concert performance. This recording will then be shared on the music website and the school website for families to view. We will be having each class perform individually so that we are able to maintain social distancing recommendations. Each class will get approximately a 40 minute time slot to perform/record at the auditorium. After the editing process (within a week of the recording), the videos will be uploaded for your viewing pleasure. More information will come out closer to each individual concert's date. Concerts will be recorded on the following dates: Multiage: Week of March 8th - 12th 1st - 4th Grades: Week of April 12 - 16th Kindergarten: Week of May 24th - 28th If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email Mrs. Kenealy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada High School is planning on holding commencement exercises for the Class of 2020 on Sunday, July 12, 2:00 p.m in Cub Stadium, weather permitting. Below are logistical details regarding Graduation and Prom.
- Graduation walk-through will be held Friday, July 10th at 10:00am
- Graduation will be held Sunday, July 12th at 2:00pm at Cub Stadium, weather permitting
- A decision will be communicated by July 9th on whether commencement will be able to be held outside or indoors in the NHS Fieldhouse.
- Tickets - Entrance to commencement will be limited to those with tickets so that we are able to properly limit the number of those in attendance to adhere to Social Distancing
- Graduates will receive 6 tickets at the Senior walk-through on July 10th
- If a Senior does not need all 6 of their tickets, they may give tickets to another Senior
- Seating - we will be following Social Distancing protocols for those in attendance
- Every other row of bleachers will be available; both home and away bleachers will be used
- Those attending may bring lawn chairs if the ceremony is in the stadium.
- Those attending may sit in the grass or on the track (anywhere outside the roped off area for the graduates)
- Those attending should social distance by household
- At this link you can find a map to seating locations in Cub Stadium
- There will be no choir or band as part of the commencement ceremony
- Graduation will be live streamed
PromDue to current CDC & IDPH guidelines and recommendations regarding social distancing, prom will not be held on Friday July 10th. Pending further CDC & IDPH guidelines and recommendations, prom will be held on Friday August 7th. This decision will be finalized by Friday, July 31st.
The Nevada School Foundation is again proud to present TRIVIA NIGHT with this month’s theme of Spring Break on the Beach on Saturday, March 7th. Doors open at 6pm; trivia starting at 7pm at Gates Hall. We will also be collecting cans and bottles to help fund the Central Elementary EK-4th grade Tree Planting Project for Earth Day. The best decorated table/costumes wins a free night of future trivia for each team member. Admission is $12.50/person (8 players max per team); $75.00 minimum/table for fewer than 6 players. Fee is tax-deductible. No spectators. Reserve a table for your team through Signup Genius: https://tinyurl.com/y4kbdpza
Nevada High School Drama presents their Spring Musical, Bye Bye Birdie! Rock star Conrad Birdie is the biggest thing to top the charts. Women love him, men want to be him and teenage girls around the country scream with glee at the mere mention of his name. But when the United States Army drafts Birdie, manager Albert Peterson sees his meal ticket preparing to fly the coop (much to the delight of longtime love Rose Alvarez, who can’t wait for Albert to ditch the music biz and become something respectable, like an English teacher). Join us this weekend to find out what happens to Conrad Birdie!
ShowtimesFriday, March 6, 2020 at 7PM Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 7PM Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 1:30PM Josephine Tope Community Performing Arts Center 1001 15th Street, Nevada, Iowa, 50201 Tickets are $10 for Reserved Admission $7.00 for General Admission Tickets available at the door, or online here. Synopsys excerpt from Broadway.com.
The Nevada Food for Thought program will be offered again this summer! This program is run by YSS and United Way and partners with the school. It is a summer program for students who have completed EK-8th grades. It runs from June 15 – July 23 and will be held at the middle school. Breakfast and lunch are provided for all students. The time is 8:15am - 12:15pm and transportation is provided. You will need to fill out the registration form attached and return it to the Central or Middle School offices by April 5th. There will also be paper copies available in each office and at school during conferences. Any questions you have can be directed to Kalli Kennel at KKennel@yss.org. 2020 Food for Thought Registration Form
The Nevada School Foundation is again proud to present TRIVIA NIGHT with this month’s theme of Valentine's Day on Saturday, February 15th. Doors open at 6pm; trivia starting at 7pm at Gates Hall. The best decorated table/costumes wins a free night of future trivia for each team member. Admission is $12.50/person (8 players max per team); $75.00 minimum/table for fewer than 6 players. Fee is tax-deductible. No spectators. Reserve a table for your team through Signup Genius: https://tinyurl.com/y4kbdpza