The Board employs a superintendent of schools to serve as the chief executive officer of the Board. The Board delegates to the superintendent the authority to implement Board policy and to execute decisions made by the Board concerning the internal operations of the District, unless specifically stated otherwise.
The superintendent is responsible for the implementation and execution of Board policy and the observance of Board policy by employees and students. The superintendent is responsible for overall supervision and discipline of employees and the education program.
In executing the above‐stated duties, the superintendent will consider the financial situation of the District as well as the needs of the students. He/she supervises, either directly or through delegation, all activities of the school system according to, and consistent with, the policies of the Board, which include the following:
- Interprets and implements all Board policies and all state and federal laws relevant to education
- Represents the Board as a liaison between the District and the community
- Establishes and maintains a program of public relations to keep the public well‐informed of the activities and needs of the District, effecting a wholesome and cooperative working relationship between the District and the community
- Attends and participates in all meetings of the Board, except when the superintendent has been excused, and makes recommendations affecting the District
- Reports to the Board on such matters as deemed material to the understanding and proper management of the District or as the Board may request
- Assumes responsibility for the overall financial planning of the District
- Files, or causes to be filed, all reports required by law
- Makes recommendations to the Board for the selection of employees for the District
- Makes and records assignments and transfers of all employees pursuant to their qualifications
- Employs such employees as may be necessary, within the limits of budgetary provisions and subject to the Board’s approval
- Recommends to the Board, for final action, the promotion, salary change, demotion, or dismissal of any employee
- Prescribes rules for the classification and advancement of students, and for the transfer of students from one building to another in accordance with Board policies
- Summons employees of the District to attend such regular and occasional meetings as are necessary to carry out the education program of the District
- Supervises methods of teaching, supervision, and administration in effect in the schools
- Attends such conventions and conferences as are necessary to keep informed of the latest educational trends
- Accepts responsibility for the general efficiency of the school system, for the development of the employees, and for the educational growth and welfare of the students
- Defines educational needs and formulates policies and plans for recommendation to the Board
- Makes administrative decisions necessary for the proper functioning of the District
- Responsible for scheduling the use of buildings and grounds by all groups and/or organizations
- Acts as the purchasing agent for the Board, and establishes procedures for the purchase of books, materials and supplies
- Conducts monthly District administration/management meetings
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Board
- Supervises the establishment or modification of the boundaries of school attendance and transportation areas subject to approval of the Board
- Directs studies of buildings and sites, taking into consideration population trends and the educational and cultural needs of the district in order to ensure timely decisions by the Board and the electorate regarding construction and renovation projects.
This list of duties will not act to limit the Board’s authority and responsibility over the superintendent. In executing these duties and others the Board may delegate, the superintendent will consider the District’s financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the District. The Board encourages the superintendent to be involved in the District community by belonging to District community organizations and attending and participating in District community activities.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to become involved in District community activities and events. The Board may include a lump sum amount as part of the superintendent’s compensation to be used specifically for paying the annual fees of the superintendent for District community activities and events if, in the Board’s judgment, the superintendent’s participation will further the public purpose of promoting and deriving support for the District and public education in general. It is within the discretion of the Board to pay annual fees for professional organizations and activities.
Iowa Code §§ 279.8, .20, 23A (2003).
281 I.A.C. 12.4(4).
Approved: September 12, 2005
Revised: November 12, 2012