Evaluation of licensed employees on their skills, abilities, and competence is an ongoing process supervised by the building principals and conducted by approved evaluators. The goals of the formal evaluation of licensed employees, other than administrators, are to improve the District’s educational program, to assess performance of licensed employees, to clarify each licensed employee’s authority and responsibilities, to identify areas in need of improvement, to clarify the immediate priorities of the District, and to enhance the working relationship between the administrators and other employees.
The formal evaluation criteria will be in writing and approved by the Board. The formal evaluation will provide an opportunity for the evaluator and the licensed employee to discuss the performance and areas of future growth. The formal evaluation will be completed by the evaluator, signed by the licensed employee and filed in the licensed employee’s personnel file. This policy supports, and does not preclude, the ongoing informal evaluation of the licensed employee’s skills, abilities and competence.
Licensed employees will be required to be proficient in the Iowa Teaching Standards and to
- Demonstrate the ability to enhance academic performance and support for and implementation of the school district’s student achievement goals.
- Demonstrate competency in content knowledge appropriate to the teaching position.
- Demonstrate competency in planning and preparation for instruction.
- Use strategies to deliver instruction that meets the multiple learning needs of students.
- Use a variety of methods to monitor student learning.
- Demonstrate competence in classroom management.
- Engage in professional growth.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities established by the District.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to ensure that all licensed employees are evaluated annually. New and probationary licensed employees are evaluated at least twice a year.
All requirements stated in the Master Contract between the employees certified collective bargaining unit and the Board regarding evaluation of such employees will be followed.
COACHING EVALUATIONS: Terms “evaluation” and “evaluated” for the purpose of this text refer to a procedure that includes a formal documented meeting with the supervisor. Coaches will be evaluated annually for each sport. Coaches who have no teaching contract with the District do not have continuing coaching contracts.
Aplington Community School District v. PERB, 392 N.W.2d 495 (Iowa 1986).
Saydel Education Association v. PERB, 333 N.W.2d 486 (Iowa 1983).
Iowa Code §§ 20.9; 279.14, .19, .27 (2003). 281 I.A.C. 12.3(4).
Approved: July 1, 1989
Reviewed: January 13, 2014
Revised: June 28, 2010