The Board recognizes that while certain fees charged students are appropriate and authorized, certain students and their families are not financially able to pay the fees. The District will grant either full waivers, partial waivers or temporary waivers depending upon the circumstances and the student or student’s parents’ ability to meet the financial criteria.
- Full Waivers ‐ a student will be granted a full waiver of fees charged by the District if the student or student’s parents meet the financial eligibility criteria for free meals under the Child Nutrition program, Family Investment Program, or transportation assistance under open enrollment. Students who fit the homeless criteria1or are in foster care are also eligible for full waivers.
- Partial Waivers ‐ a student will be granted a partial waiver of fees charged by the District if the student or the student’s parents meet the financial eligibility criteria for reduced price meals offered under the Child Nutrition program. A partial waiver is based on the same percentage as the reduced price meals.
- Temporary Waivers ‐ a student may be eligible for a temporary waiver of fees charged by the District in the event the student’s parents are facing financial difficulty. Temporary waivers may be applied for at any time throughout the school year and will not extend beyond the end of the school year.
- Application ‐ Parents or students eligible for a fee waiver will make an application on the form provided by the District. Applications may be made at any time but must be renewed annually.
- Confidentiality ‐ The District will treat the application and application process as any other student record and student confidentiality and access provisions will be followed.
- Appeals ‐ Denials of a waiver may be appealed to the superintendent.
- Fines or charges assessed for damage or loss to school property are not fees and will not be waived.
- Notice ‐ the District will annually notify parents and students of the waiver.
See Board Policy 501.16 for homeless student criteria