Administrators will be hired by the Board to assist the superintendent in the day‐to‐day operations of the District.
Each attendance center will have a building principal responsible for the administration and operation of the attendance center. Each building principal, as chief administrator of the assigned attendance center, is responsible for the building and grounds, for the students and employees assigned to the attendance center, for school activities at the attendance center, for the education program offered in the attendance center, and the budget for the attendance center. The principal is considered the professional advisor to the superintendent in matters pertaining to the attendance center supervised by the principal. Although the principals serve under the direction of the superintendent, duties of the principal may include, but not be limited to the following:
- Cooperate in the general organization and plan of procedure in the school under the principal’s supervision
- Supervision of the teachers in the principal’s attendance center
- Maintain the necessary records for carrying out delegated duties
- Work in rating, recommending, selecting and evaluating supervised employees whenever possible
- Work with the superintendent in determining the education program to be offered and in arranging the schedules. As much of the schedule as possible should be made before school closes for summer vacation. In the matter of courses offered, the final approval rests with the superintendent who is in turn responsible to the Board
- Ensure that proper care is taken of all school books, supplies, materials, equipment, furniture and facilities
- Investigate excessive cases of absence or tardiness of students and notify the parents or guardians of unexcused absence or tardiness. All such cases should be reported to the superintendent
- Make such reports from time to time as the superintendent may require
- Maintain the regular schedule of school hours established by the Board and make no temporary changes in the schedule without the consent of the superintendent
- Promptly notify the superintendent whenever ventilation, sanitation or heating of the building is unsatisfactory
- Contribute to the formation and implementation of general policies and procedures of the school
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the superintendent of schools.
This list of duties will not act to limit the Board’s authority and responsibility over the position of the administrators. In executing these duties and others the Board may delegate, the administrators will consider the District’s financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the District.
The Board encourages the administrators to be involved in the District community by belonging to community organizations, and by attending and participating in District community activities.
It is the responsibility of the administrators to become involved in District community activities and events. The Board may include a lump sum amount as part of the administrator’s compensation to be used specifically for paying the annual fees of the administrator for District community activities and events if, in the Board’s judgment, the administrator’s participation will further the public purpose of promoting and deriving support for the District and public education in general. It is within the discretion of the Board to pay annual fees for professional organizations and activities
Iowa Code §§ 279.8, .21, .23A (2003).
281 I.A.C. 12.4(5), .4(6), .4(7).
1990 Op. Att’y Gen. 79.
Approved: September 12, 2005
Reviewed: November 12, 2012