All 7th and 8th grade students begin each school year as eligible.
To be eligible for an activity, students in the 7th and 8th grade participating must:
- Be enrolled or dual‐enrolled in school;
- Have earned passing grades in all classes for the three‐week grading period;
- Be under 16 years of age;
- Have met all transfer requirements, if the student is a transfer student, or be eligible under state law and regulations if the student is an open enrollment student.
Any student not passing all subjects at the end of the three‐week grading period will be declared ineligible for all public performances. In accordance with the Nevada Community School District policy, ineligibility includes:
- An ineligible student must practice with the team (attend band or chorus), but may not dress for games, travel with the team, or sit on the bench during games or perform with the band or chorus.
- Grade checks will occur every three weeks.
- If a student is failing one or more classes, he or she will not be eligible to compete for the next three‐week period.
- At the end of the three‐week period, if the student is passing (D‐ or higher) all classes, he or she will be considered eligible for the next three‐week period.
- If a student fails a class fourth quarter and is participating in interscholastic baseball or softball, he or she will be ineligible for the two weeks after the grades are completed.
Marks of incomplete at the end of the quarter will be assigned a letter grade by the classroom teacher following a period of one week. This period may be administratively amended based on medical conditions, family emergencies, and other extenuating circumstances.
Students requiring special education or students covered by a Section 504 plan will not be denied eligibility on the basis of scholarship if the student is making adequate progress, as determined by the staffing team, towards the goals and objectives on the students IEP or accommodation plan.
Approved: July 10, 2006
Reviewed: May 23, 2016
Revised: August 22, 2011